Ever since we did the Steep Ravine to Stinson Beach hike back in January, I have been enthusiastically desiring (more than just thinking about, but not moving entirely to dreaming) to run those trails. Last month I saw that there is a run called the Muir Woods Marathon that begins at Stinson Beach, runs across the Dipsea trail to the Steep Ravine Trail, to Pantoll Ranger station (the reverse of our hike), then through Muir Woods and its vicinity, and then down the Matt Davis trail (which we had planned to hike, but was closed) back to Stinson Beach. I wasn't going to be quite ready for the marathon (although I've gotten back up to 3 hour long runs), but there was a 25k option that hit all the highlights (I mentioned above). Needless to say, a Paypal charge quickly ensued.
Then, the day before the race I checked the website to get directions to the race start and found that the course had been changed. Apparently due to the Federal Budget Impasse, no event permits were being issued for Stinson Beach. The race was to begin on Mount Tamalpais (which I mispronounce--I know because a fellow English teacher corrected me when I answered his question about my weekend), go down through the Muir Woods and then climb back up Mt. Tam, entirely bypassing both the Dipsea and the Steep Ravine Trails (the Matt Davis trail too). Now I'm no delicate baby flower, but I almost cried. (I copied that "I'm no delicate baby flower" clause from Chef Ramsey).
(On a side note, apparently I have a curse. I ran a race by the same company a couple years ago--the Death Valley Trail Marathon--and they were forced to use an alternate, much less scenic course that year. This time at least it was Mount Tam, which I also just recently visited for the first time and really loved--is what I kept telling the baby flowers in my heart.)
We started on Mt. Tam in what they call the Mountain Theater:
As you can see, I didn't take the pictures on this trip (at least this leg). Rachel and the kids came with me. They're awesome.After leaving the Mountain Theater and the fam, we ran to Ridgecrest Blvd (not exactly a trail) and up it for about 2 miles, then got on the coastal trail, which was a pretty singletrack trail that descended gradually for a couple miles before connecting with the Matt Davis trail. In about 2 more miles we came to the Pantoll Ranger station where Rach and Meghan were waiting for me. Rach took my picture and Meghan slapped me 5. I think it was the best race moment ever.
Rach was experimenting with the sport shot feature of the camera and got about thirty pictures of me running towards them. Unfortunately the camera only shoots for about 10 seconds before it needs to stop and store the pictures, so this is as close as she got. See the three people in light colored shirts? None of them is me. I'm the guy in black just behind the 3rd light colored shirt. And, for the electronic record, I passed all of these people before completing the Muir Woods loop. (although I think the guy in the light blue shirt may have repassed me before the end of the race--but he was probably using some sort of performance enhancing substance. What other logical explanation could there be?)
You who know me so well are no doubt wondering why I only mentioned Rachel and Meghan earlier. Well, that would be because I did not see Lennon or Abby on the sidelines as I raced by. And I did not see either of them, not because I was moving too quickly for my eyes to focus (although if that's what you assumed, your assumption was reasonable), but because they were not on the sideline waiting to cheer on and support their father. They were chillin in the car. Here's photographic proof:
And here's an adorable picture of my new favorite child:
After I ran by, Rachel had a couple of hours to kill with the kids so they went exploring.
Abby needed a picture of the California state flower for her California project, and a Golden Poppy, a delicate baby flower in it's own right, just happened to show itself.
Then the girls (and I assume Lennon, although I have no photographic proof) found this grassy hill:
Hilarity ensued:
While the girls were rolling down hills, I was running up a mountain. After a steady descent for about 9 miles or so, I had to make up the lost elevation l in the last 4. (If you're adding right now, the first 2 miles were fairly flat.) The last mile was especially brutal. But I did it (with a bit of walking, I'll admit). I finished in 2 hours 13 minutes and, according to the website, 48 seconds. (If you want to see the official stats, click here.)
Rach and the kids were at the finish line. Abby had a paper sign that said "Go Daddy.Yay!" Meghan gave me another high 5. Lennon wasn't scowling. It was the best!
Then we went to where I had expected the family to be the whole time: Stinson Beach. And it was my turn to take pictures:
Lennon's no dummy. The water was freezing and he was staying away from it. (The two figures in the top right of the picture are Meghan and Abby, crazy girls!)
It was actually really cold and windy, so we didn't stay very long at the beach.

Sounds fun! Don't curse our Half Dome hike though. I don't think there's a detour around the saddle that any of us could take...
ReplyDelete