Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Back to the University

I went back to Sac State today. Actually, I was tagging along with Lennon. He started doing MESA (Mathematics, Engineering, Science Achievement) this year and had a competition at my alma mater.
 While waiting for everything to get started, I took Meghan upstairs in the University Union and we did some exploring and picture taking.



Meghan comes up with the faces on her own.



 We started in the Hinde Ballroom in the Union:
Abby has a friend in MESA and they spent alot of the day together.

I loved seeing all those kids using their brains and having fun!

The people running the show kicked out all the family members and gave the kids a math test. While we were waiting, we decided to do some urban exploring. First Meghan and I took Abby and Rachel upstairs where we had been earlier (and where I spent a fairly substantial amount of time in my undergrad days).

 I got to check out some of the campus hotties (actually there was only one--or should I say there is only one):

 Then we went outside. Abby tried to get in some buildering (it's a real word, youtube it).

On the way to the Guy West bridge, the girls decided to check out the bike parking area. They were very creative in finding their fun and I was very impressed.




 Then we made our way up the steps towards the bridge,
 but we were sidetracked by a wildlife sighting.
 One daughter was more willing than the other to view the wildlife close up.
 Unfortunately for that daughter, she was a little too aggressive in her pursuit of said widlife. Despite her mother's instruction to leave the poor creature alone, she went running and screaming after it, thus earning a time out while the other child and I continued our exploration.
 That child wasn't too happy to leave her mother and sister behind so our trip didn't last very long.

Then it was time to go back to get Lennon. His 2nd stop (the math test being the first) was the macaroni machines contest where they drove cars they made out of pasta down a ramp to see who's car went the farthest.
Lennon has a hard time containing his excitement

Lennon's car is the one in the front and middle
Then we went to the model rocket competition. There's Lennon's rocket.
 Although he didn't get the hang time he was hoping for, due to a parachute malfunction, his rocket got pretty high. I tried to take a video of it, but it's mostly a video of cloudy blue sky.

Then it was time for robotics. Lennon and his friend Ronnie put together and programmed a robot that moved and swung a golf club like arm that could hit balls.






I ran into that college hottie again. (I'm not trying to brag or anything, but she came home with me.)


After the robotics demonstration (for which Lennon and Ronnie were awarded Lego keychain lights, which are fairly pricey at REI), we went back to the Union for a Togo's catered lunch and an awards assembly where a number of Bret Harte students received awards, including my BOY!
Lennon and Ronnie (and their friend Phillip who was a no show today) worked on the rocket together, and their rocket tied for third place for height


One final note: in our wanderings, Meghan and I found a "secret" rock garden and covered bench below the library. After the competition we went there to take some pictures, but, unfortunately, our secret had been discovered by someone else who had all kinds of photography equipment set up and ready to go.

Not only was it great to see Lennon participating in the Mesa competition, but it was also a lot of fun wandering around and exploring the campus with the girls.

3 comments:

  1. my momma aint in no college and they were already married so the bragging is fake
    --Lennon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lennon is awesome! and yes you're a hottie (no im not what you think i am)!

    ReplyDelete