We started our trip to Southern California on Sunday July 4th. We drove to Kettleman City in the evening and stayed at a hotel that one of my sister Kelly's clients owns. We didn't really know what to expect from the hotel--it wasn't really a looker on the outside--but it turned out to be pretty cool. Right away the kids saw an opportunity for fun when they saw the two queen sized beds about 3 feet apart. Here's a couple of pictures of the mayhem:
| That weird blur in the bottom right hand corner is Meghan. |
We were staying in Oceanside for the next couple of days, but our first stop was San Diego. This is us in a parking garage. Getting around with the whole gang was . . . interesting.
The kids were ready to eat. I wanted Mexican food--we were close to border. I don't think Meghan was too excited while waiting for her meal. By the way, that's Abby in the back behind Meghan's right shoulder.
The main reason that we were going to San Diego was to visit the Mormon Battalion museum that had been renovated fairly recently. I believe it was my mom's idea. I wasn't really excited about it, but it actually turned out to be extremely cool.
| Lennon lines up a shot |
| Isn't that a cute pioneer family? |
| A couple of old timers relax on the porch |
Don't be fooled. Unlike me, Abby is only pretending to work while posing for a photo opp. Another example of the bourgeousie tendency to find entertainment in the life of the proletariat.
Meghan is panning for gold nuggets
Eureka! Lennon and Jake strike it rich. Josh may have something also.
One of the major objectives of this trip was to help Abby with her"California Project," which is a project that 4th graders in her school do in which they are supposed to get collect pictures of different things relating to California and its history. For some things, she gets extra credit if she is in the picture with the California related thing, so being the dad I am, I took a lot of pictures of her that I hoped she could use. I wasn't sure exactly what thing she needed pictures of, so I decided to be thorough. You'll get a little sample of the pictures in the next few blog posts, here's the first one:
![]() |
| What are you looking at the caption for? All the information you need is in the picture. |
![]() |
| "Yes, it's true. I am a luchador. Perhaps you have seen me on television" |
It's never to early to introduce your children to prisons. I expect this to be the first of many such pictures.
This was the first courthouse in San Diego, and it was built by members of the Mormon Battalion.
Lennon of the present meets Lennon of the future?
My nephew Jace with an enormous jawbreaker in his mouth. Nana bought all the kids a treat at the old time candy store. I think Jace is still sucking on that thing. Either that or his cheek has never recovered from being so stretched out.
Here's Meghan leading a wagon across the prairie.
Here she is parked across from the hotel. Guess what she chose at the candy store.
I think Rachel and I make a great pioneer couple
I'm not sure if Lennon is having a reaction to the sugar in the lollipop or singing a Metallica song.
My girls (2/3rds of them, anyway, or 4/5ths, Meghan's pretty small):
After Old Town San Diego we drove to Escondido and stopped at this park that Kelly (my sister) heard about. It was pretty interesting
![]() |
| props to my sister in law Liz for instructing me in the ways of the picassa photo collage |
My dad gets a real kick out of visiting different Costco's in different places. I think this was the highlight of our trip for him. You'll no doubt notice the boogie board. I also managed to put a foam surfboard in the cart and my dad was going for it, but then I felt this weird feeling inside (Rachel says it's called guilt and comes from something called a conscience) that I believe was the direct result of trying to take advantage of my dad's generosity--although I've taken advantage of his generosity numerous times over the course of my life without this unpleasant side effect--and I decided to put the surfboard back. Now all I feel is sadness that I still don't own a surfboard. Dumb conscience!
After this we headed back to Oceanside, and if memory serves me right, for dinner that night we had some fish and chips along with some crab legs and washed it all down with some Jamba Juice. Good stuff.












I guess this is Bill posting? I got this link from Rachel's facebook. Anyway, it looks like you guys had a fun summer! My husband would love to do all sorts of adventures like you guys do (and I might be willing to brave a little) but our 5 year old is SO whiney. How do you get your kids to go on hikes without complaining? Or is it just a lot of practice.
ReplyDeleteAlso, we live about a 20 minute drive to the Mormon Battalion museum and our 5 year old LOVES it. We go all the time. In fact, I get to play fiddle there next Saturday for the big celebration they do every year. It's fun to catch up with you guys this way!
Kiersten (Henrie)
Great trip and photos. Grandpa Randy and his cool water toys. He used to be really nice to me and take me to Santa Cruz in his sports car. Then I realized he just needed me along to hold his surfboard so it didn't fly out of the car. And if Randy reads this post, you should buy Bill a better than foam surfboard, because children should be rewarded for their virtuous decisions.
ReplyDelete