On Saturday September 25th, Meghan started the day a little groggy and grumpy, despite the fact that she had lost a tooth the previous day and before going to bed, had placed it under her pillow.
(Please, pay no attention to the fact that she's wearing the clothes she wore to school the previous day--I was in charge of getting her ready for bed the night before.)
Her mood quickly improved.
Later that morning, we headed down to Lake Natoma to take part in an REI sponsored clean up. I wanted the family to participate in order to spend some quality time out in nature (and the canoe) together, to teach the kids the importance of service, and, most importantly, to get those cool REI Volunteer t-shirts.
As you can see Lennon didn't start the day out too happily either, but I learned my lesson earlier in the morning, so I slipped him a buck and he was fine. (Just kidding, I threatened him with taking away his video games if his attitude didn't improve--It did.) We were given a garbage bag and some plastic gloves and instructed to go out and pick up trash.
As we were getting started, we told the kids the story of their first time in a canoe (excluding Meghan, who hadn't been born yet), which took place in the very same location. It was in a canoe we borrowed from the Barlows and strapped to the top of our green Ford Taurus and together with Sam and Olivia and Bella (can't remember if Ava was around yet) and Kelly Christensen, we spent the day paddling around.


As we were getting started, we told the kids the story of their first time in a canoe (excluding Meghan, who hadn't been born yet), which took place in the very same location. It was in a canoe we borrowed from the Barlows and strapped to the top of our green Ford Taurus and together with Sam and Olivia and Bella (can't remember if Ava was around yet) and Kelly Christensen, we spent the day paddling around.
The rest of the volunteers were allowed to use kayaks, but had to stay together (this picture only shows a few of the volunteers). The folks in charge told us that we didn't have to stay with the group, but could go wherever we wanted.
So we wandered around a bit and then headed for the footbridge near Highway 50 (just before Folsom Blvd)
And that's where we really got to work.

And that's where we really got to work.
And when I say we, I mean Rach and the kids. Someone had to stay with the canoe. The shore was to steep to land the canoe.
Ok, ok, I did help out. At the next stop I got out and Rachel stayed with the canoe, but judging from this picture, she wasn't enjoying her rest.

However, Lennon was successful in emptying this enormous beer can before putting it in the recycle bag.
By this point, it was time to head back in.

Ok, ok, I did help out. At the next stop I got out and Rachel stayed with the canoe, but judging from this picture, she wasn't enjoying her rest.
I don't think you can see it, but she's making a very appealing "I'm throwing up" facial expression because at this particular point in time the girls aren't cooperating as fully as she would like them to.

While Rachel was dealing with the girls, Lennon and I were trying to clean up some toilet paper on that tree branch above my head (I don't know how it got there). You can't see it in the picture, but I'm already standing on a tree branch about 5 feet off the ground. Unfortunately, we were only partially successful.
By this point, it was time to head back in.
Lennon looks happier here. Regarding my earlier comment that I threatened him in order to get him to change his attitude, that was true, but he usually warms up and is a really good worker once he gets going. He did a great job and I'm sure he would have without the threat of lost video game time looming darkly over him.
The girls did a great job too, so when we were done, we celebrated:
The girls did a great job too, so when we were done, we celebrated:

No comments:
Post a Comment