Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Abby's Daisy Chain

Like many funny stories, this one began with a trip to the library. (I don't really know any funny stories that begin with a trip to the library, but I thought that would make a catchy opening line.)


A few weeks ago Abby went to the library and checked out a book called The Daring Book for Girls which is patterned after one of the best books ever, The Dangerous Book for Boys (which Lennon has, by the way). Both of these books are kind of like reference books for everything girls or boys, depending on the book, should know to be awesome. Anyway, when I saw the book Abby brought home I was curious what awesome knowledge lay within its pages.

Upon perusal, I discovered that one of the things that it explained was how to make a daisy chain--something about which, I must admit, I have pondered from time to time.

But that's not the funny part. The funny part is that on the Friday before Easter vacation, I walked over to Abby's school to pick her up. On the way, I noticed a bunch of daisies on the ground and  thought, "Hey, I'll pick a bunch of these and impress Abby by making a daisy chain for her." So I got down on one knee and started picking daisies. After I felt like I had enough, I stood up, and as I did so, I found myself looking at a grown woman who was about two feet away from me and grinning. I smiled and walked away, and heard her breathe a little one syllable chuckle as she passed me. I wonder what she thought as she watched a grown man (by all appearances) kneel down a pick a handful of daisies.

At this point you think you've made the connection between the story and the accompanying picture, but you're wrong. I was ultimately unsuccessful in my attempt to make the daisy chain. I had too few daisies and the stems of the daisies I had were too short.

I told Abby about my plan though, and last week she brought home a very large handful of very long stemmed daisies, and I put my new found knowledge to work--the results of which you saw in the picture above.

1 comment:

  1. Haha! That's hilarious. Beautiful daisy chain in the end though. You're a good dad, Bill.

    ReplyDelete