Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Free Museum Day

 
Today was Free Museum Day in Sacramento,which means if you are willing to wait in long lines and brave big crowds, you can get into most (if not all) California State museums (in Sacramento) as well as an assortment of other places such as the Sacramento zoo. We were. And by we, I mean me and Rachel and the kids; my mom, dad and BJ; Bobby and Liz; Kelly, Ace, and their crew; Kristy and Matt; even Grandma Shirley came out for this one.

We started the day off in style: the Ensigns treated us all to breakfast at Cafe Bernardo's in midtown, which may have been the best part of the day (for me anyway--and today was good).




After Cafe Bernardo's we headed down to the zoo, and entered into the fray. Once we got near William Land Park, we realized things were gonna be crazy. There were people and cars everywhere. We managed to find a place to park (not too close, but not horrible) and got in line.
Crossing the street
The line to get in the zoo

Life is all about learning, and today I learned a valuable lesson. While in line, we saw all kinds of people walking around, eating ice cream or if not eating the ice cream, carrying it around. I saw one lady walk by with like 5 ice cream bars, still in their wrappers. It begged the question: "Where is all this ice cream coming from?" Diligently, I sought the answer, and, standing on a bench, beheld the following heart warming and saliva triggering sight:
Can you see the writing on the front of the white van above the windshield?



Unfortunately, I'm a metaphoric heat seeking missile: once I'm locked on target, I follow my target until I've reached it, or blown up a bridge or a mountainside around which my target has skillfully manuevered. And my current target was the zoo. I'd waited in line for a while already and I was almost in the door. So I told the kids, "we'll get one on the way out." Would that I had crashed into a bridge.

Here's what I learned:

When you see a truck with a sign on it that says "free ice cream," you don't wait, you don't say, "I'll get some on the way out," you leave what you were doing and you go get yourself some free ice cream. Because in the end, the only thing better than ice cream is free ice cream.

As you've no doubt predicted, there was no free ice cream truck waiting to greet us with delicious and free ice cream bars. There was only an empty space on the pavement and another in my tummy.

The zoo was fun, but I think I would have rather had an ice cream bar. Here are the highlights:

After the zoo we headed over to Fairytale Town. The kids had a good time.

Meghan was complaining about being hungry off and on throughout our short tour of Fairytale Town, so on the way to Sutter's Fort, we made a detour.
Part of a mural across from the drive-through at the Mcdonald's on Freeport

We still made it to Sutter's Fort first so I was able to do this remake of the Abbey Road cover shot. (I asked my mom to take off her shoes but she wouldn't do it.--at least she didn't hide behind Grandma Shirley like BJ.)




I really enjoyed Sutter's Fort. I've been wanted to go there for a while now. In fact, when I found out about the free museum day, Sutter's Fort was the first place I thought of. I don't know how much everybody else liked it. They were all waiting for me so they could leave, while I was taking my sweet time looking at everything and imagining what it would have been like back in those days. (For the record, I didn't realize they were just waiting for me, or else I would have hurried more.)

Then we went over to the California Indian museum, where once again, we had to wait in line:

Lennon wasn't with us when we went to McDonald's. We saved this for him.
We've been in line for a while
What's Lennon looking at here? And tell me that girl's not trying to get his attention.
Video Games are way better than girls for these boys. (We'll see how long that lasts.)
Finally, our wait came to an end, but, alas, photography wasn't allowed in the Indian Museum. So your wait will continue (unless you're Kelly or Ace or one of their kids. They're the only other ones who stuck it out). This is all I got:

This is the door to the museum. I thought it was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment